Sunday, September 20, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday


Welcome to Metamorphosis Monday hosted by the very talented Susan at Between Naps on the Porch!



I am in the throes of redecorating the family room. Going for a more dark, victorian, steampunk look.
So I was staring at this white, shabby chic table and got an idea to update it.


With the Design Masters Glossy Wood Tone spay, I spray painted the sides and legs of the table.

Then I taped a couple of pieces of foil together, layed it across the table and smoothed over the edges to make a pattern..


Using the foil as a pattern, I cut out some fabric I had in my little 'stash o' fabric' basket.

I frayed the edges for the 'steampunk' look....




Poured liquid fabric starch into a bowl and dunked the fabric..


Then schmeared it onto the table...smoothing out all the wrinkles and let it sit outside to dry for a couple of hours...

....and TA DA! This is a pic with just lighting from a lamp...

and here's a pic with the flash...

Another view...

Here's a close up. Sigh. Someday I will get the hang of photography. It looks so much better in person!
This technique of using fabric starch to glue fabric to a surface is totally reversible. Just wet it down and it will peel right off without damaging the surface. I first used this idea 28 years ago when my first-born, Zac, was a baby and I 'wallpapered' sheets to a wall using liquid starch. I've done it in several houses that we've lived in. It's great for rentals as an alternative when you're not allowed to paint.
It's really easy and quick- hope you try it...let me know so I can see YOUR projects!
Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard the phrase "steampunk".....new one to me! CUTE transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sweet Myrna!!!! I love transformations and this table looks so beautiful ~ wishing you a wonderful, creative week sweetie, xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out really nice..Have a wonderful week.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative and Very victorian !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, so feminine!!
    I love the look of the legs- the way you painted them is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The table looks just gorgeous. I had no idea they had a wood tone spray. Where do you buy it? Your table looks just fabulous. What a great idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that is just the coolest idea I've seen in a long time!
    How clever and just very pretty is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful transformation of that already adorable little accenet table! Neat paint job, too. What exactly does steampunk mean? Inquiring minds need to know! LOL

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling idea, looks great!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya! Thanks for the sweet comments! I've had a couple of questions about "Steampunk"..it's a new decorating term..I got the idea from here:http://www.thehome.com/2009/07/15/ej-victor-furniture-with-soul-and-a-story

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great transformation. I like the idea of using the foil to get your pattern...very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute idea! This would be great to use on a top that the veneer is not in good shape!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project. I got so many ideas here as I always do.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I hope that I will get back in the swing again!
    Hugs
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to update the table. Love the look~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete