Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Change is hard..

I was 7 years old when my dad married my mom....back then he was called my 'step-father'. My mother and I came as a packaged deal and I always felt he loved me as much as he loved my mom. After they came home from their honeymoon we took up residence in a small, 1950's, 3 bedroom house that they had bought to start their new life together. My mother, ever the decorator, put her magical touch to it that made it feel 'homey' and warm.

From day one, Dad treated me as his own--complete with spankings when I miss-behaved! ;-)
For several years, turmoil ensued that I won't go into, but the blessing in all of that was my dad's constant, abiding peacefulness that had a calming effect. I could always count on his faithfulness and love to my mom and to me. Deep down I never doubted his love for me, or that he wanted the best for my life. I thrived on his encouragement and support.

He couldn't have been more pleased and proud when I married Steve. He knew that Steve was the man God had chosen for me, and he has told me over the years how thrilled he is that Steve is my husband--he knows what a great man that Steve is. As a mom of married children, I now know the extent of those feelings. There is a peace and a joy that comes from knowing your children chose great spouses!
When we moved back to Sacramento almost 3 years ago, one of the blessings was that we moved into the same town as my dad and his wife, Leilani. Soon Dad and I began the weekly tradition of meeting for coffee..usually on Thursdays at 9 am. How I cherished that time. He is my last link to my mom. He is my father, who I can confide in, trust, and know that his counsel is always wise. He's going to be 86 years old August 23. He's lived quite a life and has a lot of wisdom to pass on!
This coming Monday he and Leilani are moving to a retirement 'village' two hours away from here. Today my heart is heavy because we met for coffee for the very last time this morning. Change can be so difficult and I know that life is full of change and I know that I will accept the change and move on. But right now I'm sad.
These past 2 1/2 years with my dad has been such a gift and I am grateful.
Reverence for God gives a man deep strength; his children have a place of refuge and security.
Proverbs 14:26

Thanks for providing me a place of refuge and security, Dad. Thank you for showing Steve and I how to provide that for our own children. I love you!

15 comments:

  1. I know you will miss that special time with your Dad each week but 2 hours isn't too far away that you can still see him often. It's so funny because I was just at the Mind Wide Open challenge and saw all the beautiful entries.... Just gorgeous! I laughed at your twitter comment because I have been trying to figure out it's purpose all day. I just see it as another way to lose part of my day. :) I hope you will visit often. ~ Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah....I forgot to tell you about an add that was in the paper for a yard sale. They advertised it as having lots of airlooms for sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tribute to your dad. Maybe you can meet up once a month now instead of every week, since it's 2 hours away. He sounds like a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how blessed you have been to have such a wonderful father. My father was very important to me so I can understand your sadness. We just cherish the moments don't we?
    I know that you and your hubby will enjoy an RV. We have made lasting friends from our trips. Maybe we could all meet somewhere between here and CA someday. As for Tennessee, we went on the Longest Yard Sale shopping for my store a couple of years ago and found great things in Gadsen. That usually happens the first part of August. It was a blast. Maybe next year, in the RV's? Sound like fun?
    God Bless you.
    Becky
    Laceandlures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna......What a sweet post for your dad. What a nice tradition yall have/had as well and I know you are grateful for those fun visits.
    It's just a little longer road to travel, just time for a new meeting place.
    Keep your chin up and look forward to yall's next visit :) Sending you a big hug!!
    xo Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrna, my sweet chick, that is one of the most touching stories I've ever read, plus the fact that you have such sweet love that that cutie pie of a "father"(!) and he is a "real man", honey!! I wish him well in his new home but you could still visit and go for coffee every tuesday at 9 am, sweetpea!
    Smoochies,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrna,
    Within our heart we carry a treasure box, in which we place all those beautiful memories that we hold dear. You have beautiful memories of your Dad, keep him in your treasure box and he will always be with you.
    God gave us memories that we might have roses in December: J.M.Barrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GIFT God gave you in a step father who loved you so well! Keep up your dates for coffee even if they are a little more infrequent. You know Lelani will want you to come help her decorate anyway! :):) That will give you two reasons to make the drive! Or, drive up one day, spend the night and then drive home the next. Beautiful tribute to a precious Dad. Love, Toni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myrna--
    tears are running down my face! What a beautiful tribute to your dad. I'm so glad you had these last few years of coffee dates with him. You are a wonderful daughter (and friend!) and I assure you, whatever joy you've gotten from your time together is nothing as compared to his joy and pride! That's how us parents are....Love, ST

    ReplyDelete
  10. My eyes are misting up for you. I pray that future visits will be made all the more sweeter.

    Stop by my blog and enter my giveaway. You could use a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello to a fellow believer! I am having fun finding new friends and crafters! found you on the Lolli guild,
    LOVE your header for your blog too!
    blessings, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow...that was written so well, from the heart. I know that your Dad is feeling the same way...He has cherished this time with his little girl. It is an incredible bond between a little girl and her Dad. It broke my heart when you and Steve moved back up there...but God had his plan and that plan included sharing those times with your Dad. I'm praying for you my friend.
    Love
    LI

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! Thank you for sharing and I am sorry to hear that window is closing for you...

    You are a very fortunate women to have had a wonderful father for so many years! I am sure you will find a way to see him even though he is 2 hours away.
    ~~Liz~~

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was lovely to read. Just remember, the sadness is the reminder of how much we love and how much we are loved. He may be 200 miles away, but just a minute by phone. Debbie

    ReplyDelete