Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Words of Comfort Box

My friend, Cindy, recently found out her beloved uncle has terminal cancer. She began writing verses on 3 X 5 cards as she came across them while reading her Bible. She then asked me if she could commission me to make a box to put them in give to her uncle, asking that I title the box "Words of Comfort".

I felt so daunted by the task..to create something for a man, for one thing. And for one with a serious illness.
Blessedly I found a box (I forgot to take a 'before' pic of the top). It was a plain box, but looked about the right size to fit 3X5 cards in.

When I opened it, this was inside!

And it fit the cards perfectly! But I was so overwhelmed by the project. I put it off at least a week, and then would begin working on it only to walk away several times. I kept plugging along, all the while praying for this man I've never met, so fearful he'd think this box would be so hokey. And in the light of his situation I just didn't want to add any more awkwardness to his ordeal. Even when I finished it I felt sick to my stomach. I didn't like it. It just wasn't good enough. I called Cindy to let her know it was finished, but not to get her hopes up...that I wouldn't be offended if she didn't want it.

She rushed over right away and when she saw it, a big smile broke out over her face.."I LOVE IT!!" she exclaimed. "It is perfect for him!" I was astonished. She asked me how much she owed me for it..I gave her a number and she added $5 more to it.

I was so relieved that Cindy liked it. And I pray this box of scriptures will bring her uncle comfort, hope, and peace in knowing there's another life to come after this one.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna,
    It's beautiful and perfect. Why do we doubt ourselves? The words on the inside? Wow! That is something!
    I pray that this man finds comfort in this box. And that God blesses you both.
    Hugs,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS POST.....When we are weak....He is strong! God guided you to that box and helped you go forward even in the midst of your insecurity over it....the box is amazing and perfect! What a blessing this will be.....it's so beautiful to see how God uses your wonderful creativity to flow over and bless others. Your crown in Heaven just became a jewel heavier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the box idea was a wonderful idea, and the care and prayers you put into it were awesome . it turned out so lovely!

    blessings, to you, and the whole family who is involved in this hard situation.

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna, that is beautiful! I love the Scrabble tiles on top. I am sure that he will truly be blessed by this! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet thing for her to do for her uncle. And I agree with her. The box is perfect. I can imagine that it was daunting, though. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! Do you mind sharing some of the verses you used? I am thinking of making this for my granddad who is terminally ill. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to share some verses if you would email me!
      -Myrna

      Delete