Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bereavement

"It's so curious:  one can resist tears and 'behave' very well in the hardest hours of grief.  But then someone makes you a friendly sign behind a window, or one notices that a flower that was in bud only yesterday has suddenly blossomed, or a letter slips from a drawer... and everything collapses."  ~{Colette}

It will be 20 years this June that my mom passed away at the early age of 68. I was 33. Much too young to lose a mother. I still had so much to learn from her. My children were so young and I was still full of questions about life, love, and God. I'd assume my mom would be there as I navigated my way thru uncertain waters of life. She was my biggest cheerleader and my biggest prayer warrior. I know how hard she prayed for Steve and me, and even harder for our children. I know that because of her prayers, Steve and I have a profound commitment to each other and to our Lord, and our kids have a deep abiding love for God.

For those acquainted with grief know how it can blind side you when you least suspect it. Over time, it's visits are less frequent, but when it hits it feels as if she died just last week...this is one of those times. I am missing my mom this Mother's Day weekend.

"The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost".   ~{Arthur Schopenhauer}

8 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna,
    Happy Mother's Day with love! I too lost my Mother 13 years ago at age 68. It is a heartbreak that never leaves you. My kids were as devasted as i was. I couldn't have put it any better than what you did. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna,
    Happy Mother's Day with love. My Mom, bless her, is still 'here' but has been vacant for 15 years now. I get to hug and tell her I love her and I tell her who she was and what she did but she doesn't remember the next instant or who is with her. She loves everyone and that is a blessing. Its very hard to see her becoming more frail. I am so grateful she is in a good care facility and that my Dad can visit her every day.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna, what a beautiful post about your Mother. You are a sweet lady, just like your Mother. How wonderful that she prayed for you and your family.
    You will have to introduce me to her someday in Heaven. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow with your family. Hugs, sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother was beautiful....just like you! She lives on in you. You are a great mom like she was I'm sure. Happy Mother's Day my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Myrna,
    I'm so sorry you are grieving for your Mother. I just lost mine on July 13th. And I keep trying to ignore the fact that it is Mother's day tomorrow. Not to buy a card for her...hearing her voice on the phone. Even worse, I lost my son-in-law September 1st. So I have to really hide my sadness for my daughter and my 3 year old grandson. I gave her this scripture when this tragedy happened-I hope it will help you too, dear.

    Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
    You who have done great things. Who, O God, is like you? Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.
    ~Psalms 71:19-21~
    I have found great comfort also when I am worshiping and praising God. He then fills me with His joy that cannot be obtained from anything here on this earth.
    Praying for you dear one. Sorry this is so long, but I know how you feel and I hope I helped you a little.
    Blessings and hugs to you,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you are missing your mom especially hard today. I hope that your children remembering you today will bring you some joy! Heading home on Tuesday...will talk to you then about our little swap!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can deeply understand, my mom passed 20 yrs this june as well and she was 51 years old and I was 31 with a 18 month old child, I sure could use a hug and kiss from her. Happy Mother's Day and a special Happy Mother's Day to those who are remembering the Mother's that have passed on to a better world. Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry that you too are missing your mom this Mother's Day weekend. My mom was 59 when she passed almost 16 years ago. As I enjoy my grandchildren I think about how much she would have loved them. Happy Mother's Day, a little late.

    ReplyDelete